Engaging your workplace in your B Corp journey

Hi all

We are a recently minted B Corp and our attention is now turning to how to engage a small committee of B Corp ‘champions’ within our organisation. Just wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experiences of how they went about this in their own organisations? We’ve already done a team-wide education session about B Corp, this is more about getting together a ‘working committee’ to keep the conversations going and, more imporantly, keep improving! Any ideas welcome…

2 Likes

Great question @Tami. I’m curious what large companies like Beyond Bank (cc @KateCarroll @afenton) and Kathmandu do as they have large dispersed workforces that need to be across certification and what it means for their businesses/customers.

I feel like there was a webinar on this some while ago… not sure if Kate or @Kiraday can point us in the right direction.

@Tami and @alisonmichalk Absolutely!

Kathmandu recently ran Meaning in Business (MIB) trainings for all of their staff - I will see if Gary or Olivia can share some of the content from this!

Liberty Financial also has a team dedicated to B Corp. @rhughjones might be able to share some pointers.

@Clare from Springload might have more to share too. :slight_smile:

If there’s interest, I’d be happy to host a webinar ASAP to help share some tips & best practice for engaging your team + project planning the BIA. Feel free to reach out if you’d like to take part or have ideas for this!

There are some great articles on B the Change (the US/Canada blog) about this as well, plus our online short course which is great for getting people up to speed!

Hi Tami!

We have a bit of a mixed system.

• Myself and a few of the senior leadership team have been through the Impact assessment a few times to identify action we can take to increase our scores in each of the impact areas. And the ideas that came out of this were given out to people to progress how they see fit. And they in turn have involved members of their own departments to work on the ideas. So very much a top-down situation.
  • We have some team members that are regularly meeting as their BAU to think of ways Springload can be more impactful. e.g. The Procurement team do a lot of work around our supply chain. So while it’s not an official B Corp working group, our B Corp score will definitely benefit from the work they do! And I try to keep them across how the changes they make effect our score to help keep the connection.
  • We also have a couple of open working groups for specific area’s like Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. People dip in and out of the D&I committee depending on workload, with a couple of constant attendees who keep the work moving forward. We put a call out to the team to see who wanted to be a part of it, with a cap of 8 people. (We are a company of 75) First come first served. And it naturally rotates every now and again.

I think it’s important to have people involved who have the ability to make change. And prioritise the work.
But also good to do a call out to see who would like to be involved. If you can find a balance between the two then you are onto a winner!

Fantastic, thanks Clare!