Unlimited Annual Leave - To do or not to do?

Hi Team,

I am wondering if any fellow BCorps offer unlimited leave and if so how do you manage this?

3 Likes

I know Inventium has! @Gwebb might be able to weigh in. :blush:

Here is a great article that includes perspective from Inventium and another B Corp, Culture Amp.

1 Like

Amazing - thank you Kira :slight_smile:

Good topic @GemmaMills and I imagine is really dependent on the type of work culture that exists. Like the article mentions, if people are really overworked they might find it hard to take normal leave let alone any more.

We have really flexible work at Quiip so I’d not considered additional leave because people can flex their workday/week/month significantly. Be great to hear from Inventium, Culture Amp or other B Corps.

1 Like

Thanks Alison - yeah same here - we have a very flexible work culture but we also work in the events industry so there is only so much flexibility that they can take… That was a concern - people have needed encouragement to take their leave already so unsure if this would help or hinder… I’m getting a few questions about why we don’t have it from new starters particularly in the USA.

I have not worked for an organisation which has unlimited leave, but the broader HR research suggests that it can result in uneven usage of leave, with some taking advantage and others not. In fact, many reports suggested some people take less than before.

Would love to hear how B Corps have gone with it though.

My thoughts are that having some structure around what can be used (over and above what is standard), would likely empower most to take more leave and provide the organisation with some level of predictability. You could still be extremely flexible if that is what is desired; Access to immediate leave, ongoing pt for periods of time, long stretches every 2-3 years etc, but have a guide so people know.

I did a bit of thinking on this topic last year about how to staff appropriately for this, and have attempted to attach the screenshot in case it is of interest.

2 Likes